Thursday, November 3, 2011

Humans Are Made to Adapt

Seven weeks and counting. My perspective of my life changes so much as each week passes. Recently, I have been looking back at the fog of the first few weeks and it makes me smile. I was unfamiliar with J. Co donuts and clueless of what gorengan was. Trying to get a bus felt like a challenge and the language sounded like a long string of random noises, rather then words with meaning and life in them. Just counting to ten was an adventure.

But life becomes normal, humans are made to adjust, and slowly I am becoming a different person. Five dollars now feels like a fortune to spend on dinner and I know which buses will take me where I want to go. The ojek(taxi motorcycle) drivers at the gate of my neighbor know my name and have become my friends.

Yesterday, my team and I finished Book One in language school. It’s quite an achievement and I am a little taken off guard by how far we’ve come, a little surprised, but I am no where near satisfied. I want to push further, faster, harder now. Because, for what purpose am I here? Is it simply for the adventure, to have stories to tell my children about my younger days? No, that is not the sum and total of my purpose, those things have no place in my reasons for being. I know that this step of my life was set up and put into motion by God. It is my part to listen to His voice, it is my part to be all here with my heart, body, and spirit until He calls me elsewhere.

I am here for sixteen months, God willing. I can never decide if I think that sixteen months is a long time or very short. It alternately feels like either, or both at the same time, depending on the day and where my thoughts are. But whether whatever the length, I am going to give it all of me. I do not want to get to the end of my days and know that I only half lived life. That I wasted and lost and misplaced and missed it.

That being said, I am learning how to take the best and leave behind the better. I have always had the problem of doing whatever came along first. So I have made it my goal to take God first and give Him all my time. That way, He can use it as He knows is best. And I can know with certainty that I have not wasted one moment of the life that I was given. May He receive the glory from my life that is rightly His.

“My Father, may Your name be highly exalted throughout all creation. Let Your kingdom come and Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”

No comments:

Post a Comment